We are a growing commercial construction firm in the Edmonton area, with a number of current projects underway, including, light industrial, commercial office, retail and tenant improvement work. We offer competitive wages and benefits through the Mercon program, and we support employee development and growth through apprenticeship training and promoting internally.
What We Look For
Job Title: Carpenter Journeymen & Apprentice (Period 1, 2, 3, 4)
Salary: $30.00 to $34.00 /hour
Reports to: Site Superintendent or Designate
Summary of Position
Describe the primary purpose of this job.
- Carpenters construct, erect, install, maintain, demolish and repair structures and components of structures made of wood, wood substitutes, lightweight steel, concrete and other designated materials for structural and architectural components. They are expected to perform their tasks within expected timelines and to accepted quality specifications.
- Level of responsibility and task assignment is contingent upon experience and training.
Duties and Responsibilities
Identify the areas of responsibilities and duties of the job.
Level of expectation related to duties and responsibilities increase with experience and education.
Duty or Responsibility:* General Activities*
- Apply Occupational Health & Safety Act, Regulation and Code and company safety policy related to all aspects of construction.
- Read and interpret blueprints, drawings and sketches to determine specifications and calculate requirements.
- Prepare layout in accordance to building codes and project specifications.
- Maintain, repair and renovate residential, commercial and light industrial structures.
- Perform other activities at construction sites, as directed.
Duty or Responsibility:* Rough Carpentry*
- Measure, cut, shape, assemble and join materials made of wood, wood substitutes, lightweight steel, concrete and other designated materials for structural and architectural components.
- Build foundations, install floor beams, lay subflooring and erect walls and roof systems.
- Mix, pour, spread, level construction materials.
- Perform construction/renovation/demolition activities.
Duty or Responsibility:* Finish Carpentry*
- Fit trim and install trim items, such as doors, stairs, cabinetry, molding and hardware.
- Install architectural materials and components as required, flooring, wall coverings, etc.
Duty or Responsibility:* Site Work*
- Mix, pour, and spread construction materials.
- Perform construction/renovation/demolition activities.
- Erect and dismantle concrete forms, scaffolding, ramps, catwalks, shoring and barricades as required.
- Operate equipment, secure special attachments to equipment, signal operators to guide them in moving equipment and provide assistance in other activities.
- Perform and coordinate drilling and excavating activities at construction sites as required.
- Level earth to fine grade specifications using rake and shovel
- Coordinate and perform tasks for demolishing buildings using prying bars and other tools, and sort, clean and pile salvaged materials.
- Remove rubble and other debris using rakes, shovels, wheelbarrows and other equipment.
- Operate pneumatic hammers, vibrators and tampers as required.
- Tend site machines or equipment used in construction such as mixers, compressors, pumps and heaters. Perform basic maintenance related to their operation.
- Clean up construction debris and remove materials to refuse container.
- Oil and grease construction mobile powered equipment as required.
- Direct traffic at or near construction sites.
- Use a variety of tools and equipment to complete the assigned construction tasks.
Decisions and Authority
What kind of authority or decisions can this role make? What kinds of decisions or recommendations are referred to a higher level?
- Decisions are contingent upon training and experience.
- Journeyman, carpenters and apprentices are expected at a minimum to assume responsibilities appropriate to the tasks assigned to them
- Individuals may be required assume supervisory roles regardless of training or years of experience.
Describe the typical level of education and specialized fields of study required for this role.
- Carpenter & Apprentice requirements
- Journeyman Carpenter - minimum of 4 years experience and completion of 4th period apprenticeship training, Journeyman and Interprovincial Red Seal certifications.
- Non-ticketed Carpenter - minimum of 7 years experience
- 4th year Apprentice - Minimum of 3 years experience and completion of 3rd period apprenticeship training
- 3rd year Apprentice - Minimum of 2 years experience and completion of 2nd period apprenticeship training
- 2nd year Apprentice - Minimum of 1 year of experience and completion of 1st period apprenticeship training
- 1st year Apprentice - Demonstrated aptitude for the carpentry trade
- WHMIS & CSTS09 training are required
- Other construction & safety certifications are an asset, but are not mandatory
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Describe specific technical/specialized skills or experience required to perform this role.
- All knowledge and skill should be consistent with level of training and years of experience.
- Basic computer knowledge and skills are required. (Word processing, spreadsheet & email)
- Knowledge of equipment, materials & supplies associated with construction, maintenance and demolition.
- Knowledge of the applicable methods and procedures involved in the safe handling and storage of construction equipment and supplies.
- Ability to effectively supervise the daily ongoing activities of a workforce, attendance management and
- A working Knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety compliance, company safety programs, safety policy & procedures. In addition the ability to effectively apply and communicate with others on matters related to safety.
- Skilled in the operation of materials handling vehicles and associated equipment.
- An understanding of the proper lifting techniques (manual and mechanical).
- Demonstrate the proper safety procedures as set out in the OH&S and company safety manuals.
- Key areas of competency include:
- Problem solving - analyze problems and make sound decisions or recommendations in a timely manner based on objectives, risk, implications and cost.
- Organization - utilize strong organizations skills.
- Communication - Display strong written and oral communications skills in English and employs effective listening skills.
- Interpersonal Skills - tactful and mature.
- Teamwork – working together to achieve common goals.
Describe all environmental conditions that affect this position. (Lifting, bending, exposure to hazardous materials, sitting for extended periods, computer work, etc.)
- Able to independently travel to assigned job site to meet scheduled hours of work
- In and out of town work assignments exist, and may require a valid driver’s license and suitable vehicle.
- Year round construction activities, summer, fall, winter, & spring conditions.
- Interior and exterior work environments.
- There is an expectation that workers will have to work while utilizing the appropriate PPE for the tasks assigned in accordance with Synergy policies and the Occupational Health and Safety regulations.
- Workers may be exposed to hazardous environments and expected to handle hazardous materials.
- Construction tasks are physically demanding and repetitive and include, but are not limited to the following:
- They involve reaching, carrying, pushing, pulling, bending, rotating standing, walking climbing, crawling, etc.
- Forces on the body range in intensity from light to very heavy, and duration may be short or for extended periods.
Only suitable applicants will be contacted for an interview.